September 21, 2007

call for help!

Ok - some of you are great foodies!  I need help!  I am going to try cooking more often, from scratch!

What I'm looking for are recipes that are meat-based (like I'm doing a roast chicken this week I think) and without veggies or with veggies large enough to pick them out...

Another good one is tomato-sauce based chicken and rice, to give you an idea.

Meat and potatoes, meat and rice, meat and noodles are sort of where I'm going...

Beef, chicken, fish are the meats!  Pork also...meatballs, shredded meats.

Let's see what you've got.  Hubby and I are sort of picky so nothing crazy spicy.  Nothing Asian flavored.  LOVE homestyle or italian or mexican.

Anyone?  AND EASY, remember I am a beginner cook w/three kids and no time!

4 comments:

enjanerd said...

Do you have a crockpot? There are *tons* of lazy recipes for crocks.

From one of my friends:
4-6lbs of meat (pork shoulder, chicken breast, whatever is on sale that you like)
1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce
1 large onion
1/4 cup vinegar
garlic and pepper to taste (optional)

coursely chop up onions and put them in first
pour in the vinegar
put the meat on top
pour 1/2 of the bottle of BBQ sauce on top of the meat
cook on low for 6-8 hours. (until it falls apart when you try to lift it).

Take it out of the pot.
Shred the meat with forks.
Pour some more BBQ sauce on if you want.

Serve on buns or even over rice. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Try the recipe collection @ http://hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm . Lots of "from scratch" stuff that's down home and easy on the budget.
Anne
workingonafullhouse.com

Brokenornot said...

For your roast chicken, and idea I use all the time. Cut the top off a soda can, empty it out, put water in it and spices, I used thyme sage and pepper, and then stuff the can up the cavity of the chicken and roast it sitting up. :P

And I agree with the hillbilly housewife one, I use her recipes all the time, especially the cheeseburger pie. And chicken with dumplings. And easy yeast bread. Love that site.

Roxanne said...

Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Rice
1 pound ground beef
1 egg
1/3 cup matzah meal
half chopped onion
some salt and pepper to taste
Mix it all together make meatballs

In a big pot or wide pan...
1 jar chili sauce
1 big can tomato sauce (not the regular sized can)
Brown sugar to taste (1/3 cup or up to whatever sweetness you like)
a couple of squirts of lemon juice

Heat up to boiling and then heat to medium and plop the meatballs in until they're cooked

Serve over rice. Yummy.