May 28, 2009

heartbreaking...

a local church just sent a link out asking for donation for Helping Hungry Kids.  Many kids don't have enough food to eat on the weekends (they get reduced/free lunch and breakfast at school) - so they are asking for donations of food for the kids to have placed in their backpacks on Friday afternoons to ensure that the children have something to eat over the 2 day weekend.  I don't know why, but this is really really bugging me and has me all teary eyed.  I cannot imagine my children KNOWING that they do not have enough food to eat at that maybe, when they get home from school today, there WON'T BE ANY DINNER.  Is that not one of the saddest things you can imagine?  I know how no one LIKES to be hungry and to think of CHILDREN not having enough to eat it breaks my heart.

What will these children do over the summer?  I plan on dropping several bags off at the church this next weekend (they collect the 1st sunday of the month).  You should look and see if your church or school has a program like this (I also see it called Backpack Snacks or something like that).

No comments: