July 27, 2004

Aching Back...

About 6 years ago, I was running 3 miles a day, since that was excellent for my health and my waistline! I developed, though, severe pain in my back vertabrea - the L1/S1 area. It feels like bone pain - like my bones are rubbing on each other instead of cartiledge. After visiting what are supposed to be the two best doctors in the Northern VA area, many xrays, an mri, countless hours of physical therapy, a bone scan, injections into my cartiledge - they were baffled. The best guess they could give me was that I had mini-stress fractures and that not running until I healed was the only option. Given time, the pain went away and I was able to run 3 times a week, 3-4 miles at a time.

I ran Saturday for probably 40 minutes, my usual route. Last night, for some reason, excrutiating pain started. Just like the old pain. WTF? If it was the run, I should've been hurting Saturday night or maybe Sunday - but late Monday night? So every roll over last night was painful - today, walking is ok, except every so many steps, I hit it wrong and almost drop to my knees. Sitting is ok, but moving into or up from a sitting position is excrutiating. And don't even ask me to bend over and get something off the floor.

This is WAY more painful than child birth - any suggestions on what I should do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heating pad, hot showers, lost of advil or tylenol. I wish I could help you out girl but I go through this everyday and there isn't an easy cure for back pain.

Kat