December 20, 2004

Fed-Fucking-Ex

Here's a copy of the letter I'm sending to Fred Smith, CEO and Chairman of FedEx, via DHL, signature required...



Mr. Smith,

I am writing today to inform you a severe process problem within your organization. And this severe deficiency caused a 25 pound box of Christmas presents not to be delivered on time, even though they were shipped with plenty of time.

I had a package sent by a shipper, Longaberger, to my home on December 9, 2004 (tracking number xxxxxxxxx). Unfortunately, they gave FedEx the incorrect address. On December 11, 2004, FedEx was given the correct address. Since the package was in Winchester, VA., they needed to re-route it, but (according to your representatives) they re-routed it to the wrong hub in Pennsylvania.

From PA, it went to Chantilly (note, that is 5 miles from my house). Then, before attempting delivery, they sent it back to PA. Then back to Winchester, AGAIN. Then to PA. Finally to Alexandria (15 miles from my house) .

When I called FedEx Friday December 16, at 5:30 p.m., the rep told me to stop worrying, the package would arrive before 8:30 p.m. I called again at 8 p.m. and the guy told me (after looking at the records) that FedEx does not work on Saturday or Sunday and that I should call back Monday after 8:30 a.m. I enquired of him that FedEx was really closed on the whole weekend before Christmas??

Monday morning and I call FedEx, only to find out that they worked all weekend (???) and are actually OFF on Monday. Rather than schedule days off so that the facility remained open during the busiest time of the year, they were all taking today off. But the rep was kind enough to tell me that the box was being returned to shipper ( and wouldn’t let me come get it myself ) and there was nothing she could do. Here are some choice quotes from her:

“We don’t have time to work on problem packages.”
“We can’t find your box, just have the shipper resend it.”
“We are too busy to be concerned with just one package.”
“We are not setup to handle address changes.”

I am sorry, but I believe all that FedEx does is ship packages, NO? And while I agree that address changes are problematic, one would think at this point, your company would figure out how to deal with it. Since the whole system is automated (according to your rep, which is why she just can’t go get it and let me pick it up), might I suggest someone reprint a label with the correct address so that the scanners will pick it up correctly? Is this a crazy idea?

I have enclosed the routing information from FedEx for your information. We will be taking whatever steps are necessary to ensure that our packages are sent via DHL or UPS in the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! What IDIOTS!!!

You must post the response you get.